I, like a lot (dare I say the vast majority) of people grew up believing that Doctors knew all the answers, and that they would never give you a medication that was harmful. That the Government or other organizations would never approve anything that would hurt us. On some level though, deep inside, I never truly trusted. I was always reluctant to take any medications, and I’m even more so that way now with all I know about nutrition and natural healing.
For me, when I’m sick or just not feeling well, sleep has always been my best medicine. I will also do other natural self care techniques, like supplements (short term high quality therapeutic use only), heat/steam, massage, epsom salt baths or poultices, and more. My point being that for me, it is my belief that excellent nutrition, natural healing methods, supporting the body so it can heal itself, regular exercise, alternative modalities like massage, reiki, and more are the best way to stay healthy and heal illness.
These quotes I’ve found are some of my faves about nutrition and healing:
1) “Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food. ”
Bearing in mind the quality of that food. No one is going to claim that eating fast food every day is medicine or even remotely healthy.
2) “It is clear that nutrition can powerfully influence cognition, emotion, and behavior. It is also clear that the effects of classical nutritional deficiency diseases upon mental function constitute only a small part of a rapidly expanding list of interfaces between nutrition and the mind.”
-Dr Melvyn Werbach, writing on Orthomolecuar Medicine.
There should be no doubt in anyone’s mind regarding the connection between mind and body and our overall health. What we feed our bodies also feeds our minds. One cannot be effected alone.
3) “The doctor of the future will no longer treat the human frame with drugs, but rather will cure and prevent disease with nutrition.”
I continue to believe, hope and work towards this being truth and everyday reality. Please note that I am not saying all medications are 100% harmful.
4) “You can trace every sickness, every disease and every ailment to a mineral [a nutrient] deficiency,”
-Dr. Linus Pauling
Food for thought, pun intended. 🙂
5) “For every drug that benefits a patient, there is a natural substance that can achieve the same effect.”
-Pfeiffer’s Law, Dr. Carl C. Pfeiffer, M.D., PhD.
Double blind, controlled, peer viewed studies are showing this to be true more and more.
6) “The introduction of homeopathy forced the old school doctor to stir around and learn something of a rational nature about his business. You may honestly feel grateful that homeopathy survived the attempts of allopaths (the orthodox physicians) to destroy it.”
It (homeopathy) has been in the news lately as once again the arguments rage as to the effectiveness of Homeopathics. If allopathic medicine can claim that giving a patient a sugar pill but telling them otherwise and thus creating a positive change/cure in that patient’s condition (known as the placebo effect) is successful medicine then if that is the least that can be claimed by homeopathic medicine, how is the former right and the latter wrong?
7) “My opinion, however, is that they (herbs) are superior 95% of the time to any pharmaceutical drug!”
-Dr. Robert E. Willner, M.D.
For myself, the fact that the side effects of so many man-made prescription medicines are/can be more harmful or worse than the original health condition, is enough to consider a natural herb first. Even though (just like with prescription meds) it may take a while to find the right natural herb, or multiple adjustments in dosage to get the desired benefit. I also take into account the toxicity of the prescription medications themselves.
8) “It is time for the general acceptance of the concept that even in some terminal cases, our bodies can be given essential building blocks [oxygen, electrolytes, minerals, enzymes, amino acids] to repair and reconstitute every living cell within a span of 11 months.”
-Everett L. Storey
I can recite cases of this being true. A friend of mine who had breast cancer comes to mind. I’m not going to tell her whole story here today, perhaps in another blog. Suffice it to say she followed her own path of natural healing against doctors wishes/orders and a year later she no longer had breast cancer.
9) “It [the pharmaceutical industry] is the most profitable industry in the world, and partially funds the US government. It surpasses oil in terms of profits and my country recently went to war due to oil pricing. What does that say they will do to keep this other industry in tact? It is up to patients and their families to question what they are being given, and to consumers to demand better, more natural alternatives.”
You have every right, dare I say responsibility to be your own advocate when it comes to your health. Do your research, ask questions, if they refuse to answer your questions – go elsewhere. Learn, try, learn some more, be open minded, use a combination of methods and be patient with the time needed to find the right mix of methods for you. Everyone is different, no one way or one combination of ways works for everyone.
I am not anti anything, I am pro education, pro learning, pro open-mindedness, pro research, pro questioning, pro listening to your body, pro trusting your instincts, pro self-responsibility.
I am definitely pro getting out into and connecting with nature! I love this weather and where I live. Have a great Sunday. 🙂